The Dutch Supreme Court has upheld the Netherlands' partial liability for the deaths of around 350 Muslim men killed by Bosnian Serb forces in Srebrenica in 1995, during a hearing in The Hague on Friday. However, the court reduced the state liability down to 10 percent from the 30 percent set in a 2017 ruling.

Presiding Judge Kees Streefkerk said, "The Supreme Court rules that Dutchbat [troops] acted unlawfully in the evacuation of the 350 men, who had been staying in the compound since the afternoon of June 13, 1995."

He noted that, "the liability is limited to ten percent of the damages suffered by the surviving relatives of the [approximately 350] victims," adding that the victims' families "can receive compensation for these damages from the [Dutch] state."

Member of the Mothers of Srebrenica group Kada Hotic stressed that the Dutch state is "directly responsible for the Srebrenica genocide," noting that the state's acceptance of only 10 percent of its responsibility shows their "cynicism."

The former Dutchbat soldier Remko de Bruijne, who also attended the hearing, said that he found the ruling "disappointing." He added, "My opinion is they better could stay at the 30 percent but it's downgraded to ten percent. I think that's not fair."

Advertisement
Promo code not required. The deal applies to a specific group of goods. The deal is available for all customers of the e-store. The deal is available without amount restrictions.

More videos